# Marketing is not a department
(inspired and adapted from Rework by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson)
Don’t think of marketing as someone else's job. Accounting is a department. Marketing isn’t. Marketing is something everyone at our company is doing all-of-the-time.
You cannot not market:
- Every time we answer the phone, it’s marketing.
- Every time we send an e-mail, it’s marketing.
- Every time someone uses our product, it’s marketing.
- Every word we write on our web site is marketing.
- Every notification and error message in our software is marketing.
- How we pack the packages we ship is marketing.
- The order confirmation emails we send are marketing.
Recognize that all of these things are more important than what we post once in a while to Twitter or Facebook. Marketing isn’t just a few individual actions; it’s the sum total of everything we do.